Tuesday 27 December 2011

Our Canadian Christmas Cabin Adventure – Part 1 – Christmas Eve

As soon as we had decided to stay in the Ontario for a while we book ourselves a little cabin for Christmas. We had been looking forward to it for ages!

It would be our first and probably only Christmas we would have on our own, so we wanted to make it really special. We booked the smallest and most secluded cabin at Cedars, which is a year round, family oriented cottage resort, located on Lake Eugenia, 1 1/2 hours north of Toronto.

You can read my review of our stay at Cedars here: Trip Advisor link.

We had both been praying for snow, and luckily there was a sprinkling of snow when we arrived on Christmas Eve. We had brought so much stuff it looked like we were moving in – most of it was food and drink! It’s funny as we did think we had been quite reserved on what we had brought, but it’s amazing how much you end up getting in the worry that “you might not have enough”.

After the unpacking was done we explored the resort – there were a few other families but everyone was scuttling into their chalets or cabins giggling. It was really nice actually, really gave the pace a real atmosphere along with the now and the lights. I also bought a few decorations from Dollarama (my secret favourite shop) to put around the cabin.

DSC02721

DSC02734

DSC02724

Christmas Eve dinner consisted of steak and chips, which I think might have to become a tradition in our house from now on. Think we have made quite a few of those this year!

It was the best cooked steak, even if I do say so myself, and Dave did! After either over or undercooking fro so long I think I might have cracked it: How to cook the perfect steak.

DSC02739

Afterwards we adjourned to the sofa to watch Scrooged. I also developed a taste for brandy and cigars – perhaps snot the best think to develop a taste for, but I had always hated brandy before. When it’s really cold and you are standing outside in the snow it’s surprisingly good. As our parents weren’t around we allowed ourselves one present each to open, we both sort of knew what they were and we wanted to wear them – Jammies!! Dave bought me Snoopy and Woodstock ones, which I love – thank you Dave.


You can read part 2 here

No comments:

Post a Comment