Tuesday 27 December 2011

Our Canadian Christmas Cabin Adventure – Part 3 – Boxing Day

Boxing Day is now officially buttermilk pancake day. Fact. I did cheat and bought the mix, but it was so easy and made the best pancakes – although I did opt for the add eggs and milk rather than just water (give me some credit please).  Pancakes, scrambled eggs, streaky bacon (yes the maple kind) and of course… maple syrup. It was almost as good as my favourite International House. Almost. 

After another huge feast of pancakes we took a drive to find Eugenia Falls. We ended up getting the car stuck on the hill down to the car park. Luckily we remembered we were in Canada and people are very helpful and friendly. Within a few minutes of burning the rubber of the tyres trying to reverse, a whole family joined me in pushing the car (including two really cute kids) back up the hill and off the ice. As much as we were embarrassed being the “English couple that got stuck” we weren’t made feel that way at all. I’m sure if that was England, if someone did come to help you, it would have had to end in some smart arse comment I’m sure. After finding a safe, horizontal and non iced surface to park and went for a walk on a side trail of the Bruce Trail along Eugenia Falls. The weather was just perfect.

DSC02801

DSC02803

DSC02810

DSC02816

Our walk had worked up an appetite of cold cuts, home made sausage rolls (I used the left over stuffing for the middle) Bubble and squeak cakes using all the left over vegetable from Christmas lunch and not forgetting yummy Home made coleslaw. Ever since my friend Lizzy made me home made coleslaw, it was so delicious I don’t think I would ever buy it again. You can read my recipe here: Home Made Coleslaw.



DSC02827

No comments:

Post a Comment