Tuesday 27 December 2011

Our Canadian Christmas Cabin Adventure – Part 2 - Christmas Day

Christmas morning came. Dave was up and making me coffee and getting the Pillsbury croissants in the oven. I love Christmas! We had bubbles opened our prezzies, called our families and watched the BEST CHRISTMAS FILM EVER – Elf… Saaaantaaaa! I know him.

It was so nice to chat to our families over Skype. It felt really weird to not be with anyone else, just us. After a walk around the lake we had our delicious feast. While I prepared we watched a friends DVD from the video store – it’s amazing how comforting it is to see Friends - especially after not seeing any for a while. I think the last time I saw an episode was in Vang Vien (but that not so comforting – just weird!).

Our Festive Feast (all recipes derived form the good old BBC Food site – thank you beeb!)

For starter Creamy pesto with prosciutto dippers - This was really easy and not too heavy.

Followed by wrapped turkey breast stuffed with cranberries and chestnuts. As there were only two of us I used chicken breast instead, which I think, was actually nicer than turkey. It came out so good, especially with the other stuffing. We had loads left over for cold cuts too.

DSC02788

DSC02796

With the chicken: Spiced red cabbage (I didn’t have all those things so I just used wine, all spice and orange – like mulled wine I guess!), rosemary and garlic roast potatoes, honey glazed carrots and parsnips and or course Devils on horseback and pigs in blankets. What do you think? MMMMM If I do say so myself.

It’s after eating all of that massive dinner you wonder why, oh why did I thin I could eat this and everything else planned?!! Although… we did manage to tuck away a large amount of chocolate and cheese during the day too. Oh and chocolate Yule log. Ha.

DSC02745

You can read Part 3 here

2 comments: