Monday 30 January 2012

Doing Chicago "Doggy Style" at The Wieners Circle and The Dog Joint in Lincoln Park

Before we arrived in Chicago, I carried out a little research into what a real Chicago dog is all about. I wanted to ensure we were up to speed on what we should expect.

From several sources, I discovered that a real Chicago hot dog consists of:

A poppy seed bun
All beef steamed or simmered hot dog
Sweet relish (the green kind)
Mustard
Chopped onions
Pickle spear
Small pickled chillies
Dusted in celery salt
Some have cucumber and some include fresh mint.

But under NO circumstances is there to e ketchup... Oh no no, ketchup is a sin for the dogs of Chicago. (although all the vendors seem to offer it, so I'm sure they don't mind that much).

First place we hit up was the Wieners Circle by Lincoln Park.

Chicago 077
The Wieners Circle Chicago
It was a bit like a trailer inside a building and they offered both redhots and char dogs. But the red hots it what we were after, with all the toppings - mustard, relish, onions, pickles, tomato, celery salt, sport peppers.

Chicago 081
The Wieners Circle Menu
And this is what we got.
 
Chicago 078
Wieners Circle Chicago Hot Dog
Oh momma! It was Gooood with a capital G! So fresh, with all the toppings. I thought I might miss the ketchup, being an avid lover of the red stuff, but I didn't even notice it's absence. I think the secret ingredient is definitely the celery salt.

Chicago 080
Delicious Chicago Redhot hot dog

Later on in the day, hunger struck and I still had the faint taste of the celery salt lingring on my tongue, reminding me of how delicious the dog was. So, we had another.

This time, we went to The Dog Joint, not far from the Wieners Circle.

Chicago 122
The Dog Joint Chicago
The dog was slightly cheaper than the Wieners Circle, and the main difference was the addition of cucumber. I must say it was a very much welcomed addition and we both preferred this dog, although they were both pretty special. Let's here for the Chicago Redhots!!

Chicago 116
The Dog Joint Chicago Hot Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment